Are you passionate about entrepreneurship? Are you inspired by our mission to foster small business communities through mentoring and education? Are you looking for career, volunteer or internship opportunities that are fulfilling and rewarding?
SCORE is always looking for people who are committed to our goal of fueling small business success in America. We offer full- and part-time employment and contract opportunities in our headquarters in Herndon, Virginia. You can find volunteer and internship opportunities in our chapters across the country.
Learn more about our careers below. Contact your local chapter to find out how you can get involved in your local community.
Operations Support Manager
The Operations Support Manager role will function as the project lead on national and regional events throughout the year including, but not limited to, the National Leadership Conference, Field Region Meetings, Virtual Field Events, etc. In addition, this role will focus on developing and leading supporting efforts to ensure continued volunteer engagement.
This position requires excellent project management, event planning, inter-personal, business planning, and cross-function relationship skills. S/he must have the ability to work on several diverse projects concurrently. S/he will support and execute field operations endeavors, measuring and reporting on their effectiveness in progressing towards both short- and long-term strategic objectives.
SCORE has a network of over 270 chapters and more than 10,000 volunteers across the United States. Applicants should be energized by their SCORE role in the pursuit of SCORE’s mission to support vibrant small business communities.
The ideal candidate should be a self-starter, proactive problem solver, and action-oriented team player. S/he must also be committed to providing superior service, be poised under fast-paced pressure and have a positive, flexible, “whatever it takes” attitude.
- Lead, manage and triage workflow of all supporting members working together on events.
- Develop and/or coordinate all communications internally with SCORE staff and externally with Field Volunteers focused on events under management. Communicate needs, concerns, and ideas from volunteers and staff to the Executive Leadership Team related to events and projects in an effective and efficient way
- Prioritize, delegate, and support work completion as needed
- Create events and manage registration within Cvent platform
- Oversee project budgets
- Manage implementation, tracking and performance measurement of events and programs they are leading
- Identify opportunities for improvements
- Collect and use data to inform leadership of existing events, projects and tasks
- Proactively identify opportunities for process improvement and reducing execution complexity
- Strong project management skills with the ability to coordinate many activities and manage strict deadlines
- Professional interpersonal skills with the ability to work with all levels within the organization
- Proficiency using web-based content management tools such as Salesforce
- MS Office proficiency (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel)
- Self-starter with a drive to learn and the ability to work independently or collaboratively and under deadline pressure
- Ability to apply critical thinking and complete tasks on time with strong attention to detail
- Data analytics skills with the ability to track and interpret project success metrics
- BA/BS degree in relevant field
- At least 5 years’ experience in project management, event planning and/or operations
- PMP Certification a plus
- Cvent certification a plus
- Familiarity with Smartsheet a plus
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or apply on Idealist.
Customer Service Administrator
SCORE is looking for a Customer Service Administrator that will provide general administrative support to the association office and customer service to SCORE volunteers and clients. This role will be our client’s first point of contact, so they should be service-oriented and committed to providing a superior customer experience.
The ideal candidate has excellent written and verbal communication skills, along with a high level of professionalism during stressful situations. S/he should thrive under pressure and be able to work in a fast-paced environment using phones and computers to communicate with customers and record pertinent information. They should be a self-starter, proactive problem solver and detail-oriented team player. They must be committed to continuous learning and have a relentlessly positive, flexible, 'whatever it takes' attitude.
- Answer multi-line phone and greets visitors; Acts as the company gatekeeper by screening phone calls and routing callers to the appropriate party.
- Ensure the front desk is neat, presentable, and equipped with all the necessary supplies
- Respond to general inquiries about SCORE including directing individuals to local chapters, providing product and service information, suggesting appropriate online resources, and handling customer service questions
- Maintain supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies, including business cards and marketing collateral
- Maintain logs for office equipment and badges; Ensure operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements, calling for repairs, maintaining inventories, evaluating new equipment and techniques
- Monitor, organize, and forward emails to the appropriate staff; Handle sensitive information in a confidential manner
- Accept all letters and packages; distribute them to their appropriate departments
- Provide general clerical support (such as filing, typing, copying, binding, scanning, etc.) as required; Supports all departments in the organization on an as-needed basis
- Log any help desk requests into the Zendesk tracking system.
- Provide scheduling support by booking conference rooms for staff and preventing conflicts
- Maintain office with the landlord, including alerting to any repairs needed
- Resolve customer service problems by clarifying the customer’s complaint, determining the cause of the problem, selecting and explaining the best solution to solve the problem, expediting correction or adjustment, directing to the appropriate staff member, and following up to ensure resolution
- Use Microsoft Office tools and other computer software to generate reports, transcribe minutes from meetings, create presentations, and conduct research
- Anticipate the needs of volunteers and clients in order to ensure their seamless and positive experience
- Collect customer information and provide summary reports on customer needs
- Develop, update, and document administrative systems and procedures to make them more efficient
- Complete other general front office duties and customer service duties as assigned
- A minimum of 2 years’ proven experience in a similar role.
- High school degree is required; college degree preferred
- Knowledge of office management systems and procedures
- Proficient with Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel; Minimum typing speed 40 wpm.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; high attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multitask in a fast-paced and highly-collaborative team environment
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) is a plus
SCORE "Mentors to America's Small Business" is a nonprofit resource partner of the U.S. Small Business Administration dedicated to the formation, growth, and success of small business nationwide. Founded in 1964, SCORE currently has approximately 10,000 volunteers in more than 300 chapters nationwide. The national headquarters is located in Herndon, Virginia.
- Job Type: Full-time
- Salary: $35,000.00 to $40,000.00 /year
- Experience: relevant: 2 years (Required)
- Work authorization: United States (Required)
- Additional Compensation: Bonuses
- Work Location: One location
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Communication method(s) used:
- Schedule: Monday to Friday
This is a professional-level, full-time employee position. Interested parties should provide their resume, cover letter, and salary requirements and apply on Indeed. No phone calls or other inquiries, please.
Mentors are the heart of SCORE, but mentoring is not for everyone. If you still want to help small businesses in your community, there are three other ways to get involved with SCORE:
Subject matter expert: Assist clients with a specific skill set or business strategy based on your area of expertise
Workshop presenter: Create and present educational workshops, moderate roundtable discussion and lead seminars
Chapter support role: Provide overall chapter assistance based on your skills and experience